My first installment:
Yesterday was fairly painless.
Here are some things that happened:
1. I bought two baguettes on my way home from work in the afternoon. I'd never been into this boulangerie and the word "artisinale" reeled me in, hook line and sinker. I picked two, one "normal," and one sesame. The woman working told me she was out of sesame, but recommended another, which was equally good. Then she said a bunch of shit I didn't understand. I bought it, thinking "how could a baguette not be perfectly delicious?" As I realized about an hour later, not only did this other baguette have whole hazelnuts baked into it (unusual but tasty), but chunks of salami as well. Not so tasty. How do these things happen here? Meat baked into bread? Mean trick, France.
2. Walking home with my baguettes under my armpit (yes, delightful..) I turned onto my street and witnessed a man watching me while he pulled down his pants to pee on the side of a building. Eye contact. Pants down. Urine. Extreme discomfort.
3. I got home and discovered that just like the men here, French dogs also pee in inappropriate places. My room has smelled a bit "whiffy" since I arrived, and after washing my clothes (by hand) and airing out my room for an entire week, I discovered the difficult truth. Yellow stains on the bottom edges of my comforter. My landlady's dog has been peeing on my comforter. Like, six or seven times. I very nervously told her, asking if I could wash it. She's pretty weird about her washing machine, and as expected, told me she'd do it herself. I expressed confusion over why this might be happening. Her response: He's jealous. A dachshund is jealous of me. Hott.
Things that were "different" but not in unfortunate comical ways:
a. I had my first glass of Vin Chaud. Hot wine, for you anglophones. The best thing. Ever.
b. I hung out with two assistant friends and we went to the Miroir d'Eau, a sort of strange fountain/river thing on the Quai.

me and/in the mist.
MOI ET LA BRUME
No comments:
Post a Comment