I'm sitting on a couch in the Airbnb apartment I rented for my first
weekend back, enjoying the tepid and somehow wet breeze on my back while
sipping on a scorching hot cup of tea. Despite having just broken one
of my host's dishes (while washing it, I swear,) I feel fantastic. Yes.
Fantastic! Not a word I use often.
Though I'm sure this is the
calm before the storm - I'm moving in with my Turkish roommate later
this afternoon - my arrival in Istanbul couldn't have been gentler. The
flight was thirteen hours of stiff and sweaty and the guy at customs did
scrutinize my passport, my face, my visa, and my "reasons for coming"
for much longer than I felt comfortable with, but getting to see my
boyfriend's smile in the arrivals hall was more than enough
compensation. Everything feels different with a kind-hearted translator.
Strangers barking in Turkish, taxis honking incessantly, cats fighting,
watery beer, SIM card shenanigans - it still doesn't make sense. But it
does feel less bewildering. For that I am grateful.
So who will I be living with? Good question. Before I get to that, here's who didn't make the cut:
1.
A super intense, hyper-clean, invasive question-flinging 30 something
Turkish dude and his theoretical lady roommate in a mildly sketchy part
of town near Taksim. Frankly, this guy was so uptight from the get go
that my interest was piqued. (Yes. I am that person.) I like to think of
myself as a fairly open sort who can at very least get along with most
people. I'm not demanding; I wash dishes; I don't throw raging parties
but I also don't mind them. But I've also found myself in some difficult
co-habitations that could've been infinitely easier had everyone been
honest from the get go. So the fact that this guy was so upfront about
house rules and so intent on digging into my personal life was bizarrely
refreshing. He told me I would be expected to clean. He told me that
house guests were not encouraged. He asked my what kind of work I did
and what sort of hours I would be keeping. And when I told him I thought
that the house guest issue might be, well... an issue, he told me he
could deal with 2-3 days of them but not much more. After all, he said, I
was the renter. Not my pals. He then added that he didn't want to see
my boo and I hanging out all the time in the kitchen and leaving a bunch
of dishes for him to clean up. He also didn't want him spending the
night all the time. And he referred to him as my "lover." Can we say:
inappropriate, awkward, and controlling? I sort of understand the
boyfriend statements. There's nothing more obnoxious than seeing a
couple flirt with each other in your own kitchen and then leave their
spaghetti to mold. But what I can't accept is that offering my friends a
place to rest their weary heads after long hours and expensive plane
fare would be uncomfortable. My friends deserve better than a begrudged
welcome, and frankly, I ain't payin' for that.
2. An Erasmus flat
in a quieter, much less shady area just north of Taksim. This sounded
great at first. The guy who owns the apartment not only speaks English
but I believe is English and lives there. Talking to him was an
uncomplicated pleasure and all that prevented me from PayPal-ing him my
deposit was the fact that I hadn't seen any photos of the room I'd
actually be occupying. I wasn't so thrilled about the three other
roommate situation - one American girl (totally fine, and I'd actually
bizarrely met her before) and two non-Turkish guys of unknown origins
(also okay). That's a lot of competition for the bathroom, and because I
work from home, I thought it might get a little awkward. But I felt
like the pros outweighed the cons. And then I saw the photos. My first
thought - I'm not in college anymore. I need actual furniture. I don't
want to live out of a suitcase, nor do I want to fork over a ton of
money to buy and haul my own loot from Ikea. I'm almost 30 and I'm
making my life here. Nope. Second thought - why am I moving to Turkey to
work for an American company and live with non-Turkish people? The
American girl at this place was very cool (and normal and nice) when I
met her some two years ago, but is it really a good idea for me to go
down that road?
I had a few other possibilities happening but they dropped off one by one. Too flakey. Too expensive. Too questionable an area.
So who and what did I choose?
My
gentleman caller once described me (teasingly) as a communist,
feminist, and a vegetarian. All of these things are true, of course, and
I'm proud to be such. On this side of the world, though, I guess I'm a
bit of a rarity. Turns out the stars aligned to put me with my Turkish
match. The new roommate is a kindergarten teacher who dabbles in stage
acting on the side, is about as left wing as they come in this country,
and has declared her own vegetarianism. And best of all - she has a cat!
I'll be moving to the Anatolian/Asian side of the city later this
afternoon and though I never thought I'd end up here, I have to say I'm
looking forward to it. My future home is a five minute walk to the
Bosphorus and if it's anything like the parts of Kadıköy I've visited,
it'll be a beautifully quiet and relaxed place to write.
Cross your fingers, friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment