Sunday, January 18, 2009

vite vite vite

I've decided I need to be more positive about my life and its directions in general. So here, an ongoing list of things I love about Bordeaux, la France, and les français :

[not in that order.]

1. the abundance of 17th century buildings and façades in and around town. apartment buildings have plaster faces here. photographic documentation to follow.

2. the quality, decent prices, and ubiquitousness of excellent chocolate.

3. salted butter.

4. a truly delicious baguette can be had for 85 centimes.

5. the french adoration of their canine friends.

6. 1 euro espresso.

7. unreasonably attractive men abound, wearing unreasonably attractive clothing.

8. wine. cheaper than juice. what?

9. french people wear the coolest glasses and do so with pride.

10. my weekly outdoor market at st. michel on saturday mornings.

11. door knockers.

12. the tram system in bordeaux is shockingly clean, mostly efficient, and hovers over grass, souvent.

13. my students say things like "coucou" and "youpi!"

14. people here wear berets unironically.

15. cheese - even cheap supermarket cheese - is delicious. and guiltfree.

16. there's a man who hangs out at place de la victoire roasting chestnuts over a trashcan designed to look like a train.

17. saturday afternoon manifestations are interesting and conflict free, from what i can tell.


more to follow. promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fully support this new line of blogging. Carry on, posthaste.