Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An Inverted Forest

Today I achieved the near impossible.

Throughout my planning schemes for this move, I've aspired to redefine the term "packing light." Not merely in terms of clothes, but rather, in terms of

BOOKS.

I'm bringing about six or seven book for the/related to the wee ones, as mentioned in my previous post. But late-night thoughts and silly self-amusements inspired a challenge. I decided to allow myself three reading books. Three English language books for ten months.

And today, those three were finally selected.

1. "Pale Fire" by Vladimir Nabokov.

This is one of the very few books I was assigned in an English class and never managed to finish. Which is a bummer, because the 75 pages I did read were strange and wonderful, and everyone says this is a brilliant novel. I figure I'll finish it this time around. Especially without that project on "Waiting for Godot" to get in the way.

2. "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez

I have also started this book before, and never made it past the first chapter. I'm ashamed to say this on multiple levels, but the names were too hard to keep straight. I'm going to try harder.

3. "McCarthy's Bar" by Pete McCarthy

I've read this book literally at least ten times. At least. It is one of my life's greatest comforts.

I cheated and am bringing a secret fourth one. I tell myself that this is okay, because I'm in the process of reading it now and had I less than a hundred errands to run this week, I'm sure I'd finish it. This is: "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert. I'm about half way through and I love it. Unapologetically ornate, melodramatic, overwrought. Brilliant.



What three books would YOU bring?




[photo credit to my mother. i believe this is nikos kazantzakis' library.]

No comments: