Salut à tous,
Some late night observations, influenced heavily by jet-lag and delusion:
The difference between travel and relocation is manipulation of the wanderer's perceptions. When we travel, we place ourselves in a position to be charmed and delighted. We are searching, even if passively, for beauty. But when time constraints do not exist, when an end is unforeseeable, honesty enters the mind's eye. We cannot help but observe the ugliness as well. We no longer seek to meet the city, to understand her for herself, but rather, to seek, to understand, ourselves in her shadow. As a piece of that shadow. This is a more difficult task.
I am here in Bordeaux at long last. A beautiful city marred by my housing resentment towards it. Today I make those scary phone calls in search of a flatmate. Today I also make that trip to Jardin Public to meet the other assistants. A big day, to be sure. Good thing I washed my hair.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment