My next post on Istanbul is still percolating in my brain matter, but I wanted to share this wee video in the meantime. I should probably dedicate it to my coworker, a former travel agent extraordinaire, who recommended our hotel to us. It was the third in her list of three, and to be totally honest, I was kind of rooting against it when we were doing our booking. (In favor of an airbnb.com option.) I couldn't be happier to eat my words, though. Not only was this our constant view, but the amazing people we met there made what might've been a normal family vacation into something infinitely more meaningful.
video context: I knew it was coming, but the wall of sound rushing into my exhausted eardrums at 5.20 AM still managed to surprise me. Sleep was impossible, so I grabbed my camera and took a chance. The call feels very long indeed when you're jet-lagged and disoriented, but as I came to discover every night after this one, "the call" I was hearing wasn't just one. Because there are so many mosques and in such close proximity, I'm pretty sure they stagger them so people aren't singing over each other. So there's an echo effect of sorts... for twenty minutes. And who can sleep after that? When there are so many delicious things to eat and cats to pet and seagulls to feed and delight to find?
sorry this is so jiggly and grainy - no tripod, or video know-how.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment